Thursday, April 14, 2011

Churchill Still Walks In Parliament Square

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Its easy to forget we are a country at War ,but walking down to Parliament Square in the heart of London, the seat of British power, reminded me. See my blog Tom's Mog for more on my thoughts on A Country At War

Postcards From London Series #3

*Samsung EX1 - 3 shot HDR (-1, 0, +1 EV)

The articulated screen/viewfinder on the EX1 came in handy again for this shot. Parliament Square is currently cordoned off with high fences so this shot is taken with my arm held up as high as possible to get a good viw over the fence. I can also use my monopod to get an even higher 'ground based aerial view' :-)

The very bright F1.8 Schneider-Kreuznach lens in the EX1 is excellent for bright light shots at ISO200 and gives a great level of detail and density from a relatively small 10 megapixel 1/1.7” CCD sensor. I feel I'm getting results from the 3 shot HDRs that are comparable to those taken using my 15 megapixel APS-C sensor Pentax K20D DSLR.

All in all a great result from this small easy to carry around 'enthusiast compact'. I am well pleased with my investment especially as it cost a lot less at 250GBP than a DSLR lens alone would cost me.

It can also shoot in RAW and I have done some experimenting in that regard but these shots are all done by combining 3 10mp 'superfine' jpegs. Excellent results from single RAW files also once you get the hang of the bundled Samsung RAW Converter software, although I still prefer using Adobe Camera RAW within Photoshop CS5.

Churchill Still Walks In Parliament Square but no one else can... Tom's Mog

No comments:

Post a Comment