Saturday, April 16, 2011

Digital Self Reflection


Digital Self Reflection, originally uploaded by TomRaven.
I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.


From Song of Myself By Walt Whitman

Here's a self reflective product shot for you :-) This is the Samsung EX1 used to take the previous few posts, a great little 'enthusiast compact'. Taken with my trusty Pentax K20D DSLR

This shot is a 3 shot HDR combined using Photoshop's HDR Pro function. I took all three shots with different 1 stop separated exposures using a Tripod. I normally don't use a tripod and take all my shots by hand as the image stabilization and  auto alignment during the HDR combination process are usually sufficient to create a sharp image. In this case as I was doing my first ever product shot using just natural light I thought I would try out the tripod. Once in photoshop I have used the 'Highlights & Shadows' function to bring out more detail in the shadows and then added 3% black using the 'selective colour' function to compensate and give the image more punch. I have also altered the contrast.

I'm pleased with the crisp result.

Prior to this shot I took a more standard Product Shot and there was a small fly on the shutter release that almost succeded in taking a shot of me taking a shot of it. Thats what gave me the idea for the self reflective shot :-)

Samsung EX1




* Pentax K20D and Samsung D-Xenon 50-200mm Lens

No comments:

Post a Comment